Monday, January 23, 2012

Clockwork Prince

Clockwork Prince ~ 502 pages

"I know we are in a hurry to get to the council meeting," said Jem, "but I wanted you to see this." He gestured around them. "Poet's Corner."
She smiled at him. "How did you know just what I'd want to see?"
"How could I not?" He said. "When I think of you, and you are not there, I see you in my mind's eye always with a book in your hand."

Clockwork Prince is the sequel to Clockwork Angel, and the second book in the Infernal Devices series which is the prequel to the Mortal Instrument series. Got it? I broke it all down in a previous blog (in fact, it was my first blog).

I like the Infernal Devices series more than Mortal Instruments, which is saying something because I liked Mortal Instruments a lot. The characters in this series are so interesting, it's hard to put it down once you get into it. I found myself having to allow specific time slots to read because I would've just read it all the way through and forgot about all my homework. It's just so gripping. I also found that I couldn't read it in public places because the reactions it drew out of me were so erratic and even as I looked up from the book it took me a couple of seconds to pull myself to reality.

So to tell you a little bit about this book...

It continues to tell the story of Tessa, and her experiences now that she's living in the institute with the "shadowhunters". It takes a long time to explain all of this world, and I attempted to do that in the City of Fallen Angels blog. (so go read that if you feel so inclined) Luckily, this book was more of a romance than an action. Yes there are still battles, (including one particularly bloody one) but the real foundation of the book was, "What the heck is Will's deal?"

You find out a lot about Will in this book, explanations for his really strange behavior and such, but the thing was... I didn't really care. In my Matched blog, I wrote out which "team" I am for several books and series. (For example, Team Jacob or Team Edward) I am Team Jem forever and always after this book. I was team Jem after the first book, but this book made it even more clear. I still stand by everything I said in my defense of Team Jem, but now I have so much more to add...

I guess the biggest problem was that I just wanted to punch Tessa in the face. She's supposedly really smart, but she does a lot of stupid stuff for a smart person. But I guess that's good writing. The fact that I was so freaking involved with this book speaks volumes to it's writing.

If you like Hunger Games, or fantasy action romance, this series might be for you. The only hesitation I have in recommending it, is that I don't know which book you should read first, City of Bones or Clockwork Angel. I don't know if you have to read the Mortal Instruments series to fully appreciate the Infernal Devices series. I think I liked reading City of Bones first, because it all ties together, and you get better explanations in City of Bones because it was written first.

Anyway. 900-502= 398 Pages left


Read on,


Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment