Thursday, May 5, 2011

City of Glass, Clockwork Angel



City of Glass ~ 541 Pages

"I'll just have them change the entry in the demonology text book from 'almost extinct' to 'not extinct enough for Alec. He prefers his monsters really, really extinct.' Will that make you happy?

I started reading the Mortal Instruments Series around the tenth of April. My Aunt Stephanie recommended them to me, and so I put City of Bones (the first book) on hold at the library. City of Glass is the third book of the series that was intended to be a trilogy. Of the three books, (City of Bones, City of Ashes, and City of Glass) this one was my favorite. Cassandra Clare has a wonderful talent for developing characters, and her writing gets better each book she puts out. Now, she has put out another book with the same characters titled City of Fallen Angels. I’m currently 296 on the waiting list for it, so it’ll be blogged later on. From what I could find out on her web site, it’s like another chapter in the character’s lives. Not really in the trilogy, but it is… if that makes any sense.

I can’t really talk too much about the third book without giving away the rest of the series, but it continues to tell the story of Clary, Jace, Simon, Alec, Isabelle, and others.

I would recommend this series to people who like adventure novels; it certainly never really gets boring. And while I can say, I did call a lot of the “surprises” it’s not always predictable. There is a lot of action and romance and suspense, and it keeps you entertained.

City of Glass is the book I began reading on the 27th, so I won’t count the other books in the series in my page count, but City of Glass was 541 pages. So when I finished that book, I had 9,459 pages to go. And the next book I read was…

Clockwork Angel ~ 476 Pages

One must always be careful of books, said Tessa, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.
I’m not sure a book has ever changed me, said Will. Well there is one volume that promised to teach one how to turn oneself into an entire flock of sheep-
Only the weak-minded refuse to be influenced by literature and poetry, said Tessa., determined not to let him run wildly off with the conversation.
Of course, why one would want to be an entire flock of sheep is another matter entirely, Will finished.


I put Clockwork Angel on hold the same time as City of Glass, because Clockwork Angel is a prequel to the Mortal Instruments Series. At first, I didn’t know which one to read first, assuming that Clockwork Angel would be about Luke or Clary’s mother. Luckily I read it after City of Glass so it was easier to understand and therefore more entertaining.

Well, I didn’t get anything like I expected when I read Clockwork Angel. This book actually takes place in the late 1800’s in London. While the same world of Demons and Demon hunters (called shadowhunters) still exists, it’s not like the Mortal Instruments series that takes place in present day New York. But I still loved it. I can’t tell how this series relates to the MI series without giving away a TON of spoilers, so I won’t, and I would recommend reading it AFTER the whole MI series, that way you’re not confused and you get how it connects.

Clockwork Angel is now going to be the first book in the Infernal Devices series. You following me?

Infernal Devices Series (Prequel to MI series, which you read after)
-Clockwork Angel
*-Clockwork Prince
*-Clockwork Princess

Mortal Instruments Series
-City of Bones
-City of Ashes
-City of Glass

(second Trilogy of Mortal Instruments Series)
-City of Fallen Angels
*-City of Lost Souls
*-City of Heavenly Fire

* = Not released yet

Okay, now that that is over…

I loved this book, and I can’t wait for the rest of this series. (Warning!!! This book ends with a serious cliff hanger…) The next book (Clockwork Prince) comes out in December, so obviously it won’t be included in this summer page count. Clockwork Angel was 476 pages, so after this book, I’m left with 8,983 pages to go!

That’s all for today! Thanks for reading. I have 4 books waiting for me at the Library, and two books at my house now, but I would still like to hear your favorite books for ideas. THANK YOU!

Read on,

Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment