Monday, January 30, 2012

Divergent

Divergent - 487 pages


"Beatrice?" a voice behind me says.
I turn, and Caleb stands behind me, a book in his hand. His hair has grown out so it flips at his ears, and he wears a blue T-shirt and a pair of rectangle glasses.
"What are you doing here?" he says.
"I wanted to go home," I say, "and you were the closest thing I could think of."
He presses his lips together.
"Don't look so pleased to see me." I add.
"Hey," he says, setting his hands on my shoulders. "I'm thrilled to see you, okay? It's just that this isn't allowed. There are rules."
"I don't care," I say. "I don't care, okay?"
"Maybe you should." His voice is gentle; he wears his look of disapproval. "If it were me, I wouldn't want to get in trouble with your faction."


So, I've found a new favorite genera through this page count, dystopian science fiction. It all started with Hunger Games, but this summer (slash winter...) I've read Matched and now Divergent. On my last blog I wrote that if you like Hunger Games you'd like Clockwork Prince, but really, Divergent is much more similar.

It takes place in future Chicago. The people of the world decided that there were specific reasons why the world was all messed up, so they each created their own faction based on a virtue. There are five: Candor, who believe in honesty, Abnegation, who believe in selflessness, Dauntless, who believe in courage, Amity, who believe in peace, and Erudite, who believe in knowledge.

When children reach sixteen, they must choose which faction they want to live in, even if it isn't where their family lives. The factions have very little interaction, so if you leave your family it's likely that may never see them again. "Faction over blood." Your new faction is your family.

But what happens if you don't fit into just one group? Well, that's Beatrice's problem. She fits into three, she's what they call Divergent. But it's not a good thing. In fact, it can get you killed. Beatrice must find out who she can trust, and where she fits in with a world that wants her dead.

The story follows Beatrice from before her aptitude test, (where they tell her what faction she should choose) far past her initiation into the faction she chooses. I loved that the book told a good portion of a story, that it didn't end in a cliff hanger, or before the current problems were solved. The problem I had with Crossed was just the opposite, that I didn't feel like I got enough of a story. There is plenty in this book.

I loved this book. The sequel comes out in May. I can't wait. While I didn't get the fan girl giggles like I did with Clockwork Prince, it takes intriguing twists and keeps you on your toes. Beatrice, who decides to change her name to Tris (thank goodness) is a likable and strong character. I almost like her as much as Katniss (Hunger Games). And I like her a whole lot more than Tessa (Infernal Devices), so that's good.

It's scary to think that the world could end up like the world in this book, and it reminds us that we must be Courageous, Honest, Selfless, Knowledgeable, and Kind, not just one. You see the corruption in each system or faction, and you realize there's no way each can stand on it's own.

There's a lot of action in this book, so don't think it's all about politics, because it's not. It's equivalent to Hunger Games. I recommend Divergent to anyone who likes Hunger Games. (For real this time)

398-487=(-89)!!!

Well folk, that's 10,089 pages! Sure it took me a while longer than I planned... okay, five months more... but I made it before the next summer right? Don't worry, I'm not done yet. I don't have any books to read right now, and midterms are coming up, but I have a few more things up my sleeve before I officially close the 2011 summer page count. So stay tuned. (If there's even anyone there...)

Read on,

Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment